Monday, December 15, 2008

the baking curse has been broken

SO in the past no matter what I try to bake if it doesn't come from a box it fails miserably even if I follow the directions to a T ...I am cursed... well I have been craving apple pie, it has always been a thanksgiving tradition and this year we went to my grandparents house and apple pie wasn't on the menu :( so I have still been craving apple pie so I took it on myself to attempt an apple pie... completely homemade

I found a recipe online from better homes and gardens

you'll need for the pie filling:
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbs. all purpose flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
6 cups peeled and sliced apples
sugar to sprinkle on top (I used brown sugar)

Crust:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 Tbs. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cooking oil
1/3 cup milk

1. preheat oven to 375 degrees F, In a large bowl stir together the 1/2 cup sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Add apples and stir to combine. Let stand while making crust.


1B. PIE CRUST: In a bowl stir together flour, sugar, and salt. In a small bowl stir together milk and oil; add all at once to flour mixture. Stir with fork until dough mixture comes together, with floured hands form into a ball. Divide into three equal balls. proceed to step 2.

2. For pie crust, with your hands firmly press two of the dough balls firmly into 9inch pie plate and up the sides; continue pressing to form and edge at the rim. Set aside

3. Divide remaining dough ball into 6 equal parts. On waxed paper pat each dough portion into three inch circles; set aside. Transfer apple mixture into pie shell, top with dough circles Sprinkle with additional sugar.



4. Place a baking sheet on oven rack; place pie plate on baking sheet. Bake pie for 65 min or until filling is bubbly in the center. If necessary, cover top of pie with foil for lat 10-15 min to prevent over browning. Remove pie from oven, remove foil, place on wire rack to cool completely



This pie really was so easy to make and I couldn't have done it without the help of this from pampered chef

Its an apple/peeler/corer/slicer and I had all my apples prepared in about 5 minutes, its an amazing and fun gadget... I digress...

So this pie came out perfect, even with all my handling of the dough it was perfect and flaky, however I would next time make extra dough because I really had to press it and make it stretch so I had enoughto cover the bottom and sides of the pie dish and I still didn't have enough to make the whole rim of the pie crust and I also added some brown sugar to the apple mixture and on top as was suggested by Bryan the family chef expert and it turned out great and I will definitely be making this again as it was so easy

I think the baking spell has been Broken

No comments:


I'm Katie a 27 year old mommy and wife. Welcome to my blog where I will chronicle the happenings of my life as I find the balance between being both SAHM by day and CVICU nurse by night.

I love Jesus and strive to be more like Christ every day. Running, reading, and cooking are some of my favorite past-times. I love photography but I am no pro, but it helps I have such a cute subject to practice on!!


.

.
Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Search This Blog

Labels

1 month (2) 1/2 marathon (1) 10 months (1) 10weeks (1) 11 weeks (1) 15 weeks (1) 19 months (2) 19 weeks (1) 2 months (2) 2012 recap (1) 2013 (1) 21 weeks (1) 24 weeks (1) 3 months (2) 30 weeks (1) 33 weeks (1) 34 weeks (1) 4 months (2) 5 months (1) 52:1 (1) 6 months (1) 7 months (1) 8months (1) 9 months (1) anniversary (1) apple pie (1) Austin (1) awards (1) baby (34) baby #2 (11) baby food (2) Baby Shower (1) back to work (1) bad day (1) baking (3) Belize (1) Bible (1) big bro (1) big brother (1) Birchbox (1) birth story (1) Birthday (1) books (1) breastfeeding (3) bundt cake (1) chalk (1) Chicago (1) chocolate cake (2) christmas (3) church (1) cloth diapers (1) coffee (1) college (1) crawling (1) Crock pot (1) decor (1) dental (1) doula (1) dreamfeeding (1) easter (1) excess (1) fall (1) family (3) family photos (1) fathers day (1) Flowers (1) football (2) goals (1) God (2) grandparents (2) haircut (1) half marathon (2) halloween (2) home (1) Home Organization (2) homeade (1) house (1) illness (1) jammies (1) Jen Lancaster (1) job (1) july 4th (1) L (8) Labor Day (1) Landon (1) life (1) Life with L (1) love (4) Mail File (1) main dish (1) march of dimes (1) marriage (1) mastitis (1) medical missions trip (1) mesh wreath (1) mom (1) mothers day (1) My Fair Lazy (1) natural birth (1) Neonatal Nurse (2) None (1) Nosefrida (1) nursery (2) October (1) one year pics (1) organize (1) ornament wreath (1) parenting (1) park (1) peacock (3) personal growth (1) Pinterest (3) play time (1) pony (1) pork (1) preemie (1) pregnancy (6) preschool (1) project 52 (6) Pumpkin (1) punkin festival (1) recipe (1) resolutions (1) rodeo (1) root canal (1) running (4) saturday morning scene (1) scarf swap (2) sheshemade (1) Sick baby (1) Silly Boy (1) so what wednesday (1) solid food (2) Spartan (1) Sunday Social (1) swing (1) ten on tuesday (2) toddler food (1) tongue tie (1) ToT (1) traveling (1) UT (1) UTSA (1) vacation (2) Valentines (1) wedding dress (1) weekend fun (1) wine (1) working mom (1) world prematurity day (1)
Dresses from Shabby Apple

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved