Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Conviction of God

So, I have been reading the book 7 by Jen Hatmaker and WOW, is it not so true that you should be careful what you pray for!! In church this last Sunday our Pastor was talking about how he improved his marriage over the 20-something years he's been married and that was by figuring out what he needed to change about HIMSELF not his wife.

This is so true because I feel like so often in relationships we are quick to find what the other person needs to change to improve that relationship be it a marriage, friendship, coworker relationship etc.  This really hit me because I do it, I wish my husband would do this or that when really he is a fantastic husband and father but I have stuff about myself that I need to change.  So on sunday I prayed that God would make clear to me what I need to change about MYSELF, what are my faults that need improved upon.

Well, in reading this book it really convicted me and struck a cord.  I am not done yet with the book but each page I read I just cant help but feel that it was written just for me!

I see it a lot lately the pursuit of "stuff" and "things" what cute outfit can you find for your child, what cute clothes can you get for this season.  While yeah I love shopping for L and it helps that he grows so quick I have an excuse to keep buying his stuff but me? not so much.  I don't need 10 pairs of dark jeans or 10 turquoise shaded tank tops.  I have started to pare down what I do own and think twice before I go to Target or anywhere else to buy STUFF.  I love shopping I really do but I think lately it has just gotten a little out of control.

I'm learning to be content with just what I have.  Not just in regards to stuff but in life in general.  I am learning to be content with just my one baby.  L is so sweet and fun and while I want more than anything to have more apparently thats not Gods plan.  I need to just be content with NOW and cherish NOW.  Everyday I go to work I'm reminded that tomorrow is not a promise but a gift.   Things can change in an instant and I want to cherish every second I have with my sweet boy because time just blows by!!

The chapter about waste is a good one too because we are so wasteful and I often balk at the word "green" and think about hippies but really this is God's earth we need to take care of it and not be so wasteful. I don't have a green thumb but I have started to buy more local fruits and veggies.  I guess my cloth diapering is helping in this aspect too.  It really changed my perspective on the whole "green" thing!

The other chapter that really hit me was the media chapter.  Whoa do I spend a lot of time on the tv, cell phone, computer, twitter, Facebook, blogs etc the list goes on.  I have been trying to be more present for L not always with a cell phone in hand or the TV in the background.  I think I waste a LOT of time on electronic stuff and like I said before, time is precious and I can imagine how much more time I will have if I turn off the TV and put away the cell phone a little more and read a book, play with L, and even more time to spend in the word which I have been struggling with.

This  book is so fantastic I highly recommend it.  It really makes you think and realize how wasteful and overindulgent we are in this country.  It was exactly what I needed and quite a wake-up call.  Its not something I can change in a day, its certainly a process, but with lots of prayer and a few trip ups along the way I really hope to be more content with the here and now and cut down on the pursuit of more!

2 comments:

Cajun Cowgirl said...

I've been trying to "check" myself with the shopping too and I don't even do it that much. I guess it's the attitude that I'm trying to change. I don't need what every little thing that I see online and I shouldn't even "lust" after it. And the media thing--totally get you on that one. Thanks for this post!

Sarah said...

Oh boy, this sounds like the perfect book for me right now. I need to learn to be content with what I have and stop the endless pursuit of more... It can just be so hard! I feel like I am bombarded all the time with "stuff" I want. Hmmm, I think I need to get this book!


I'm Katie a 27 year old mommy and wife. Welcome to my blog where I will chronicle the happenings of my life as I find the balance between being both SAHM by day and CVICU nurse by night.

I love Jesus and strive to be more like Christ every day. Running, reading, and cooking are some of my favorite past-times. I love photography but I am no pro, but it helps I have such a cute subject to practice on!!


.

.
Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Search This Blog

Labels

1 month (2) 1/2 marathon (1) 10 months (1) 10weeks (1) 11 weeks (1) 15 weeks (1) 19 months (2) 19 weeks (1) 2 months (2) 2012 recap (1) 2013 (1) 21 weeks (1) 24 weeks (1) 3 months (2) 30 weeks (1) 33 weeks (1) 34 weeks (1) 4 months (2) 5 months (1) 52:1 (1) 6 months (1) 7 months (1) 8months (1) 9 months (1) anniversary (1) apple pie (1) Austin (1) awards (1) baby (34) baby #2 (11) baby food (2) Baby Shower (1) back to work (1) bad day (1) baking (3) Belize (1) Bible (1) big bro (1) big brother (1) Birchbox (1) birth story (1) Birthday (1) books (1) breastfeeding (3) bundt cake (1) chalk (1) Chicago (1) chocolate cake (2) christmas (3) church (1) cloth diapers (1) coffee (1) college (1) crawling (1) Crock pot (1) decor (1) dental (1) doula (1) dreamfeeding (1) easter (1) excess (1) fall (1) family (3) family photos (1) fathers day (1) Flowers (1) football (2) goals (1) God (2) grandparents (2) haircut (1) half marathon (2) halloween (2) home (1) Home Organization (2) homeade (1) house (1) illness (1) jammies (1) Jen Lancaster (1) job (1) july 4th (1) L (8) Labor Day (1) Landon (1) life (1) Life with L (1) love (4) Mail File (1) main dish (1) march of dimes (1) marriage (1) mastitis (1) medical missions trip (1) mesh wreath (1) mom (1) mothers day (1) My Fair Lazy (1) natural birth (1) Neonatal Nurse (2) None (1) Nosefrida (1) nursery (2) October (1) one year pics (1) organize (1) ornament wreath (1) parenting (1) park (1) peacock (3) personal growth (1) Pinterest (3) play time (1) pony (1) pork (1) preemie (1) pregnancy (6) preschool (1) project 52 (6) Pumpkin (1) punkin festival (1) recipe (1) resolutions (1) rodeo (1) root canal (1) running (4) saturday morning scene (1) scarf swap (2) sheshemade (1) Sick baby (1) Silly Boy (1) so what wednesday (1) solid food (2) Spartan (1) Sunday Social (1) swing (1) ten on tuesday (2) toddler food (1) tongue tie (1) ToT (1) traveling (1) UT (1) UTSA (1) vacation (2) Valentines (1) wedding dress (1) weekend fun (1) wine (1) working mom (1) world prematurity day (1)
Dresses from Shabby Apple

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved