Saturday, July 9, 2011

Cloth Diapers

I made the decision back before I was even pregnant with L to use cloth diapers.  I read a blog post someone had that used them and I was instantly intrigued.  Thus, I started to do some research...what I found drew me in even more!!

The reasons why:
1. They are so cute!!
2. they are so much softer than disposables
3. the cost savings is HUGE...plus if you take good care of them you can use them for subsequent children and depending on what kind you use, you can use them from infant through potty training
4. Better for the environment, you aren't cluttering up the landfills with your child's poopy diapers that will sit there for hundreds of years
5. no chemicals on my sweet babys bum
6. did I mention how cute they are!!



I have seriously become addicted and its a good thing I have a boy and not a girl because they have so many more cute diapers for little girls.

We started using our cloth diapers at about 3 weeks of age.  My stash consisted of Fuzzibuns XS and Happy Heiny minis.  These were all too big around the legs at first thats why we waited 3 weeks.  I have since bought a few diapers that I wish I had before because they are much smaller and would have fit from day one.  Those said diapers are the lil joeys and grovia all-in-one newborn.



Really the transition from disposables to cloth was not hard at all the only difference is you have to do a little more laundry but for us thats no big deal. They strap on just the same as a disposable.  I didn't even have a hard time getting hubby on board he was actually excited when we could start using our cloth diapers...he kept asking me when we could start using the "cool" diapers. Its so funny now too because he has nicknames for landon depending on what color diaper he is wearing ex. red= L is trying to be cupid green= Lis a little shamrock etc. its pretty cute.

You have to use special detergent that has no softeners, enzymes etc the one we use is called Rockin Green and that is working well for us so far. At first I had read you can use the original Tide so I bought some and used it at first but L broke out into a rash and I switched soaps and the rash went away so I think he just is very sensitive.  As long as they are Exclusively Breast Fed you don't have to rinse the poo off you just throw the whole deal into the wash.  I do a cold quick was to get the dirties off then I do a hot wash with a cold rinse and an extra rinse to make sure all the soap is out.




I also use cloth wipes, it just made sense.  When you change a diaper you wipe and roll the wipe into the diaper and stick it into the bag, then throw the whole thing into the wash. I don't use any special solution for the wipes, just plain old water and that works for us.

What our stash consists of:
15 Fuzzibuns XS
2 Happy Heiny minis
2 Lil joeys
2 Rumparooz one size <<-- tend to be pretty bulky but work good at night
1 grovia AIO newborn

With this many diapers at first we had to do wash everyday but now we are able to go about 2 days
I also have a bunch of the one size diapers which he will be able to use until he is potty trained but they are a little bulky so we stick with our newborn diapers for now.


It is quite an investment up front but if you start well in advance its not as big of a shock all at once.  Since I knew I knew I wanted to cloth diaper i always kept my eyes out for sales and deals.  Sometimes Fuzzibuns will be on Zulily thats where I got most of our way back before L was even born.  Also Kellys Closet always has good deals and often when you spend a certain dollar amount you can get a free one size diaper, thats how I got most of mine.



No comments:


I'm Katie a 27 year old mommy and wife. Welcome to my blog where I will chronicle the happenings of my life as I find the balance between being both SAHM by day and CVICU nurse by night.

I love Jesus and strive to be more like Christ every day. Running, reading, and cooking are some of my favorite past-times. I love photography but I am no pro, but it helps I have such a cute subject to practice on!!


.

.
Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Search This Blog

Labels

1 month (2) 1/2 marathon (1) 10 months (1) 10weeks (1) 11 weeks (1) 15 weeks (1) 19 months (2) 19 weeks (1) 2 months (2) 2012 recap (1) 2013 (1) 21 weeks (1) 24 weeks (1) 3 months (2) 30 weeks (1) 33 weeks (1) 34 weeks (1) 4 months (2) 5 months (1) 52:1 (1) 6 months (1) 7 months (1) 8months (1) 9 months (1) anniversary (1) apple pie (1) Austin (1) awards (1) baby (34) baby #2 (11) baby food (2) Baby Shower (1) back to work (1) bad day (1) baking (3) Belize (1) Bible (1) big bro (1) big brother (1) Birchbox (1) birth story (1) Birthday (1) books (1) breastfeeding (3) bundt cake (1) chalk (1) Chicago (1) chocolate cake (2) christmas (3) church (1) cloth diapers (1) coffee (1) college (1) crawling (1) Crock pot (1) decor (1) dental (1) doula (1) dreamfeeding (1) easter (1) excess (1) fall (1) family (3) family photos (1) fathers day (1) Flowers (1) football (2) goals (1) God (2) grandparents (2) haircut (1) half marathon (2) halloween (2) home (1) Home Organization (2) homeade (1) house (1) illness (1) jammies (1) Jen Lancaster (1) job (1) july 4th (1) L (8) Labor Day (1) Landon (1) life (1) Life with L (1) love (4) Mail File (1) main dish (1) march of dimes (1) marriage (1) mastitis (1) medical missions trip (1) mesh wreath (1) mom (1) mothers day (1) My Fair Lazy (1) natural birth (1) Neonatal Nurse (2) None (1) Nosefrida (1) nursery (2) October (1) one year pics (1) organize (1) ornament wreath (1) parenting (1) park (1) peacock (3) personal growth (1) Pinterest (3) play time (1) pony (1) pork (1) preemie (1) pregnancy (6) preschool (1) project 52 (6) Pumpkin (1) punkin festival (1) recipe (1) resolutions (1) rodeo (1) root canal (1) running (4) saturday morning scene (1) scarf swap (2) sheshemade (1) Sick baby (1) Silly Boy (1) so what wednesday (1) solid food (2) Spartan (1) Sunday Social (1) swing (1) ten on tuesday (2) toddler food (1) tongue tie (1) ToT (1) traveling (1) UT (1) UTSA (1) vacation (2) Valentines (1) wedding dress (1) weekend fun (1) wine (1) working mom (1) world prematurity day (1)
Dresses from Shabby Apple

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved