As far as the nursing itself goes L is a champ he can eat and be done in about 10 minutes and I have pumped after he finishes and he literally drains me all the way! I am so glad it no longer takes him 45min to an hour to eat that was so frustrating when I wanted to go anywhere although it was kind of nice when we were at home, I would basically just camp out on the couch with a full DVR and my water and snacks and just relax with my lil guy.
As far as the items that have been a neccesity for me:
I currently have the Medela Freestyle pump and... I HATE IT!!!!
1. It is so loud, like a dying machine
2. The pump parts can only be used with the freestyle and you cant just buy the membranes which you have to replace every 3-4 months you have to buy a whole new pump parts kit so then you end up with five million pump parts and only 2 membranes, totally sucks.
3. Also I use the Medela symphony at work and that thing is a true work horse well I cant use my freestyle parts on that pump so if I want to pump in the car on the way to work I need two different sets of pump parts...its just a huge hassle.
4. Another thing I hate is that if the membranes are even the slightest bit wet, the pump wont suck Im not even exaggerating so you either need to a) have several pump part sets or b) completely clean and dry the pump parts between each pumping
5. my boobs hate it, I can get about 8-10oz per pumping with the symphony and a whopping 2-4oz with the freestyle and those 2-4oz only come after a good 25 minutes of pumping....it majorly blows!
I am on the market for a new pump which deeply saddens me since this thing was $400 but whats a girl to do, I need to pump and this thing is just not cuttin it!
I LOVE these bags:
They seem very sturdy and have a double zipper so the milk doesn't leak also, you can lay them flat in the freezer for more efficient storage of milk
Bamboobies are amazing!
These things are so soft and so absorbent I love them! I still need nursing pads and I got tired of shelling out the change for the disposables plus these are very slim and don't show through my shirts
When I am at work I don't clean my parts in between pumping since I can use the symphony the parts don't have to be dry so I just rinse them in water and put them in a ziplock in the fridge and this cuts down immensely on my pumping time, from set up to being back in my unit it is anywhere from 20-25 min total that includes set up, pumping, and clean up, I really only pump for 10-14 min with the symphony its awesome!
I hate to pump and I don't pump really unless I am at work. What I pump at work is what L gets the next night I work. I usually try to go 3 times at work and if I cant go 3 times I will have to fit in a pumping at home. I do pump at home on occasion because I dot have a freezer stash at all and I am trying to build one so I need to pump here and there to build that up. I love this hands free bra thing
I used to have the Medela one and I hated it because the holes would stretch out and not hold the breast shields on tight enough and I would end up holding them with my hands. This one I have never had a problem with it getting stretched and its way cuter!
One thing I wished I had had in those early days when I was dealing mastitis and engorgement was this thing:
One last thing I have been using lately to increase my supply since I have needed to pump more so I have enough for L when I go to work is these vitamins:
I feel like I have not been able to pump enough for L for when I am gone, when I pump at work I don't really get enough for the next night lately and have had to pump a few times at home too and these vitamins have been helping, I am slowly starting to see an increase ...even though I smell like IHOP
All items contain a like to them on Amazon, although if your in Houston, I have found the therapearl pillow thing at some HEB's in the baby section