Saturday, July 4, 2009

Whip it up week 1

I am so thrilled to be participating in whip it up this year I would read everyones posts from last year but i couldnt join in the middle, not sure if it was the official rules but I didnt want to join in the middle so this year when my dear friend Erin started mentioning it I was super excited and jumped on the bandwagon

In case your not sure what whip it up is here is a link to the headquarters
But basically everyweek there is a theme which I can follow or choose not to but I probably will because its morefun that way and then I have to cook a recipe I have never made before and post about it here on my blog with pitures, the recipe, and a recap of the recipe

So here we go... Week 1... Holiday food

I ran across a recipe for a whipped mashed potatoe salad and just HAD to make it, when I was little there was a lady whom my parents were friends with and she made this potatoe salad that was a mashed potatoe salad I loved it because I dont really like all the chuncks that can be involved in Potatoe salad so over all these many many years I was never able to find a recipe similar to this ladies but alas... here we go

I found the recipe here on The Pioneer Woman an awesome blog I read all the time

You will need:

5 pounds russet potatoes (about 8 medium russets)
1 1/2 cups real mayonnaise (NOT Miracle Whip)
4 tablespoons prepared mustard (regular, Dijon, or a mixture of both)
5 green onions, sliced up to the darkest green part
8 small sweet pickles (may use dill if that’s more up your alley)
1 teaspoon kosher salt (more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 hard boiled eggs, coarsely chopped

and here is the whole gang:

Cut potatoes in halves or thirds, then boil until fork tender. Drain.
Mash potatoes or run them through a ricer or food mill to make them extra fluffy.

Roughly chop your pickles, green onions, and boiled eggs

measure out your wet ingredients, ** A little note, slight variation from original recipe, I thought I had plenty of Mayo but apparently someone uses it more than I thought because I only had about a half cup and needed one and a half cups sooo I had to improvise I used sour cream and a little milk and crossed my fingers and hoped for the best, also When I measured out the mustard it came out to about 1/3 cup plusI added a little more... I like mustard**

Mix it all up gently (I dont think I was so gentle but it came out ok, plus my bowl was a little too small to be gentle)I also used alittle of the juice from the pickle jar to add some moisture to my mix
And here we go served up in my bowl ready to enter my tummy!!


This potatoe salad was so good!! I loved how smooth it was with just the small chunks of onion and pickle and the eggs YUMMMM I would totally make this again however I would ensure I had enough mayo before starting It was still good using some mayo sour cream and milk but Im sure it would have been ten times better with just mayo!!
It was very easy to make, i did forget to peel the potatoes before boiling them soooo it made things a little more difficult but aside from my own errors the recipe was very easy to follow

Here is the recipe for those of you who want it in its wholeness
P-Dub’s Potato Salad
5 pounds russet potatoes (about 8 medium russets)
1 1/2 cups real mayonnaise (NOT Miracle Whip)
4 tablespoons prepared mustard (regular, Dijon, or a mixture of both)
5 green onions, sliced up to the darkest green part
8 small sweet pickles (may use dill if that’s more up your alley)
1 teaspoon kosher salt (more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 hard boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
Cut potatoes in halves or thirds, then boil until fork tender. Drain.
Mash potatoes or run them through a ricer or food mill to make them extra fluffy.
Fold potatoes together with mayonnaise, mustard, green onions, salt, pepper, and other seasonings you like. Fold in pickles and eggs, then taste for seasonings, adding more salt, mustard, or mayo as needed. You may also splash in juice from the pickle jar if salad needs a little moisture.
Serve with baked beans, coleslaw, pasta salad, burgers…and two pieces of pie.

2 comments:

trishtator said...

Mmmmm, looks delicious!

Unknown said...

Super excited that you made this!
We love the Pioneer Woman!!


I'm Katie a 27 year old mommy and wife. Welcome to my blog where I will chronicle the happenings of my life as I find the balance between being both SAHM by day and CVICU nurse by night.

I love Jesus and strive to be more like Christ every day. Running, reading, and cooking are some of my favorite past-times. I love photography but I am no pro, but it helps I have such a cute subject to practice on!!


.

.
Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Search This Blog

Labels

1 month (2) 1/2 marathon (1) 10 months (1) 10weeks (1) 11 weeks (1) 15 weeks (1) 19 months (2) 19 weeks (1) 2 months (2) 2012 recap (1) 2013 (1) 21 weeks (1) 24 weeks (1) 3 months (2) 30 weeks (1) 33 weeks (1) 34 weeks (1) 4 months (2) 5 months (1) 52:1 (1) 6 months (1) 7 months (1) 8months (1) 9 months (1) anniversary (1) apple pie (1) Austin (1) awards (1) baby (34) baby #2 (11) baby food (2) Baby Shower (1) back to work (1) bad day (1) baking (3) Belize (1) Bible (1) big bro (1) big brother (1) Birchbox (1) birth story (1) Birthday (1) books (1) breastfeeding (3) bundt cake (1) chalk (1) Chicago (1) chocolate cake (2) christmas (3) church (1) cloth diapers (1) coffee (1) college (1) crawling (1) Crock pot (1) decor (1) dental (1) doula (1) dreamfeeding (1) easter (1) excess (1) fall (1) family (3) family photos (1) fathers day (1) Flowers (1) football (2) goals (1) God (2) grandparents (2) haircut (1) half marathon (2) halloween (2) home (1) Home Organization (2) homeade (1) house (1) illness (1) jammies (1) Jen Lancaster (1) job (1) july 4th (1) L (8) Labor Day (1) Landon (1) life (1) Life with L (1) love (4) Mail File (1) main dish (1) march of dimes (1) marriage (1) mastitis (1) medical missions trip (1) mesh wreath (1) mom (1) mothers day (1) My Fair Lazy (1) natural birth (1) Neonatal Nurse (2) None (1) Nosefrida (1) nursery (2) October (1) one year pics (1) organize (1) ornament wreath (1) parenting (1) park (1) peacock (3) personal growth (1) Pinterest (3) play time (1) pony (1) pork (1) preemie (1) pregnancy (6) preschool (1) project 52 (6) Pumpkin (1) punkin festival (1) recipe (1) resolutions (1) rodeo (1) root canal (1) running (4) saturday morning scene (1) scarf swap (2) sheshemade (1) Sick baby (1) Silly Boy (1) so what wednesday (1) solid food (2) Spartan (1) Sunday Social (1) swing (1) ten on tuesday (2) toddler food (1) tongue tie (1) ToT (1) traveling (1) UT (1) UTSA (1) vacation (2) Valentines (1) wedding dress (1) weekend fun (1) wine (1) working mom (1) world prematurity day (1)
Dresses from Shabby Apple

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved