For this weeks theme of Healthy Options i decided to let M decide since there was nothing I was dying to make. I gave him the Biggest Loser Family Cookbook and told him to choose something.
He chose Pizza Burgers
I like hamburgers but for whatever reason I never make them at home probably because we dont own a grill and they are never the same on the stove.
But Alas here we go
Here's the cast:
1 lb. 96% lean ground beef
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 to 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
1/4 tsp. salt
3 oz. low fat mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
1/2 cup low fat, lower sodium, low sugar Marinara Sauce
4 Whole grain hamburger buns
1. Preheat the grill
2. In a large bowl, mix the beef, oregano, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and salt until well combined, Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and shape into balls, packing them tightly as you do. Press each into a patty that is about 1/2" larger than the diameter of the bun
3. Grill the burgers for about 2 mins per side for medium rare, or until desired doneness (Do not smash the burgers with a spatula) About minute before the burgers are done top each with the cheese
4. Meanwhile put some marinara sauce in a small bowl and heat up in the microwave about 30-60 seconds. PLace the bun halves cut side down on the upper rach of the grill away from the flame for about 20 seconds or until toasted.
5. Place each bun bottom on a serving plate toasted side upand then place the pattied cheese side up on the bun bottoms. Spread the bun tops with your marinara sauce and place on top of the burger
Since this week is healthy options I thought I would add the nutrition facts
Per Serving 304 Calories, 32g Protein, 27g Carbs, 9g fat (3g saturated), 68 mg cholesterol, 5g fiber, 605mg sodium
1. was this good? Yes, it was good, not my favorite as Im not a big fan of meatball subs and that is basically what this is, but M loved it!
2. would is the recipe easy to follow? YES This recipe was so easy to follow and so easy to make and was done in no time, we didnt make ours on the gril and we used ground turkey instead of beef so ours took a little longer
3. would you make this again? I would make it again if M requested it but not on my own accord only because Im not a huge fan of the meatball sub type dish