Friday, January 21, 2011

The Predicament

Our child care situation is what I am referring to, I mentioned it briefly in a previous post and thought I would elaborate, you never know maybe someone may have some oddball idea I never thought of.

The situation is Hubby works as an assistant store director at a grocery store chain here in Texas.  The key word in that job title is assistant, being that when it comes to scheduling he kind of gets the shaft and doesn't get much say.  Ideally He would work 7-5 on the days I work, he would take our child to daycare on those days...problem solved. Well because He gets the shaft with the schedule he mainly works 10am-8pm and occasionally 2pm-midnight.  This is part of the problem.

I work night shift as a nurse, once we move I will probably have to leave for work at around 5pm and will not get home until around 745am the next morning. I only work three days a week and am trying to look into financially being able to go part time which means I will only work 2 nights a week.

So the big issue is that 3-4 hour time gap between when I go to work and when hubby gets home.  Also the fact that just because I get home in the AM doesn't mean I can be up with a baby all day until that time gap begins because I have to sleep at some point in order to make it through work and be a safe nurse, not to mention some sleep is essential to life.

So, basically day care is totally out of the picture because they aren't open till that late so while it would give me an opportunity to sleep some they aren't open usually past 6 or 7 so we still have that time gap to deal with.  most nurses I work with have family come watch their babes at night or their hubby works a regular human schedule so getting ideas from them isn't much of an option.  I could have a nanny but do I have her come from 10 am to 8 or 9pm? Thats a long time and in my eyes a lot of $$$$$.  We don't have family in Houston so thats not an option.  I could go part time and work on the days hubby is off but that would totally suck because I then would never have a day off with my man :( also if I went part time I could space out my 2 days of work and then really only need a sitter or someone for that time gap as I wouldn't need to sleep all day I would really just need a nap and lots of coffee.

Going part time looks like the best option however, Im not sure how my smaller paycheck would work with us buying a house and having a baby at the same time.

I know God is in control and I pray that He will work it out as I know he will but this seriously stresses me out.  I keep pushing it to the back of my mind hoping that one day God will throw a rock wrapped with a brilliant idea at my head, but at the same time I feel like if I keep ignoring the issue Landon will be here and I will have nothing to do with him when I have to go back to work.  I think the solution is I need to strike it rich so I can just stay home until the kids go to school then start working again....hey we can all be wishful huh!!

5 comments:

Erin said...

Hmmmm...has M approached his bosses about the situation? Maybe one of them would be willing to throw him a bone? Or, would it be possible for you to return to work on a full-time day shift? Maybe just for a little while until you figure out another solution? I know that involves a paycut too so I don't know how it would work out financially...plus I don't know what time you'd get off so it may still leave daycare off the table.

Hmmm...how about, Colin and I move there, you guys buy an enormous house, we'll move in and I'LL be the nanny! Everybody wins! Well, except y'all because Colin's expensive! :)

I'll keep praying, I'm sure the right solution is out there. I'm also praying that God doesn't throw a rock at your head...that might hurt...maybe he could leave it on the nightstand or something?

Is there any of our friends up there that could pick Lil Man up from daycare and watch him until Mark got home? Or maybe contact the alum people up there and see if any of the girls are looking for a little extra dough?

Lisa said...

What about PT weekends? It's about the same pay as FT regular and it sounds decent if your hubby doesn't work weekends.

Come to think of it, I'd have the same problem if I had a kid because Mike works rotating 12 hr shifts but they are 530-530.

Megan said...

Wow...I'm so glad that I found your blog!! I am a nurse, too! We aren't having a baby anytime soon, but I am constantly thinking about our schedules and what we are going to do when we DO have a baby. My hubby is a fireman, so he works 24 hour shifts.

Can you look into doing PT days? Would that help? What about just doing weekends? Then you could be off all week and then your hubby would be off on the weekends. I'm interested to see what y'all decide to do!

Katie @ Chronicles of KT said...

day shift would really not work since I still would not get home until almost 8 pm and hubby would be gone all day at work not getting home until 9pm or later so we still have that overlap to deal with. HUbby often works on the weekends so me working all weekends wouldn't work. The best option would be for me to go part time and have someone come over and watch the lil one during that 3-4 hour time gap, i just need to look into the finances of me going part time

Kellianne said...

praying for you about this situation!


I'm Katie a 27 year old mommy and wife. Welcome to my blog where I will chronicle the happenings of my life as I find the balance between being both SAHM by day and CVICU nurse by night.

I love Jesus and strive to be more like Christ every day. Running, reading, and cooking are some of my favorite past-times. I love photography but I am no pro, but it helps I have such a cute subject to practice on!!


.

.
Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Search This Blog

Labels

1 month (2) 1/2 marathon (1) 10 months (1) 10weeks (1) 11 weeks (1) 15 weeks (1) 19 months (2) 19 weeks (1) 2 months (2) 2012 recap (1) 2013 (1) 21 weeks (1) 24 weeks (1) 3 months (2) 30 weeks (1) 33 weeks (1) 34 weeks (1) 4 months (2) 5 months (1) 52:1 (1) 6 months (1) 7 months (1) 8months (1) 9 months (1) anniversary (1) apple pie (1) Austin (1) awards (1) baby (34) baby #2 (11) baby food (2) Baby Shower (1) back to work (1) bad day (1) baking (3) Belize (1) Bible (1) big bro (1) big brother (1) Birchbox (1) birth story (1) Birthday (1) books (1) breastfeeding (3) bundt cake (1) chalk (1) Chicago (1) chocolate cake (2) christmas (3) church (1) cloth diapers (1) coffee (1) college (1) crawling (1) Crock pot (1) decor (1) dental (1) doula (1) dreamfeeding (1) easter (1) excess (1) fall (1) family (3) family photos (1) fathers day (1) Flowers (1) football (2) goals (1) God (2) grandparents (2) haircut (1) half marathon (2) halloween (2) home (1) Home Organization (2) homeade (1) house (1) illness (1) jammies (1) Jen Lancaster (1) job (1) july 4th (1) L (8) Labor Day (1) Landon (1) life (1) Life with L (1) love (4) Mail File (1) main dish (1) march of dimes (1) marriage (1) mastitis (1) medical missions trip (1) mesh wreath (1) mom (1) mothers day (1) My Fair Lazy (1) natural birth (1) Neonatal Nurse (2) None (1) Nosefrida (1) nursery (2) October (1) one year pics (1) organize (1) ornament wreath (1) parenting (1) park (1) peacock (3) personal growth (1) Pinterest (3) play time (1) pony (1) pork (1) preemie (1) pregnancy (6) preschool (1) project 52 (6) Pumpkin (1) punkin festival (1) recipe (1) resolutions (1) rodeo (1) root canal (1) running (4) saturday morning scene (1) scarf swap (2) sheshemade (1) Sick baby (1) Silly Boy (1) so what wednesday (1) solid food (2) Spartan (1) Sunday Social (1) swing (1) ten on tuesday (2) toddler food (1) tongue tie (1) ToT (1) traveling (1) UT (1) UTSA (1) vacation (2) Valentines (1) wedding dress (1) weekend fun (1) wine (1) working mom (1) world prematurity day (1)
Dresses from Shabby Apple

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved